Office Phone: (423) 542-1814
801 East Elk Avenue
Elizabethton, TN 37643
Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The County Clerk is elected to a four-year term and operates under a fee system, remitting all excess fees and collections to the County Trustee monthly.
The County Clerk is the clerk for the county legislative body and responsible for keeping the official record of the County Commission meetings. As such, they are tasked with all of the administrative duties related to the County Commission and its committees, such as the recording of minutes, publishing of agendas, and providing adequate public notice of meetings.
Other duties for this office include the following:
- Registration of motor vehicles and collection of applicable sales taxes
- Renewal of vehicle tags
- Processing online vehicle tag renewals
- Issuance of disabled persons placards
- Replacement titles/noting of liens
- Boat registrations/renewals
- Issuance of hunting and fishing licenses
- Issuance of marriage licenses
- Processing of Notary Public applications
- Monthly collection of hotel/motel taxes
- Monthly collection of wholesale beer taxes
- Monthly collection of severance tax
- Annual beer tax collections
- Issuance of manufactured home installation decals
Customers can renew their car tags by scanning their driver’s license or their current registration to search for their vehicle. Once selected, the customer can submit their payment via credit card. The renewal decal will print-on-demand at the end of the transaction. As is the case with using a credit or debit card to renew vehicle registrations at the County Clerk’s Office, the kiosk charges the same processing fee for payments made with a credit or debit card through the kiosk system. The kiosk is located inside the Redi-Mart Supermarket located at 5110 US-19E in Hampton.